Monday, October 13, 2008

Gaming Wed 10/15

As usual now, I won't be able to go to the League City Meetup tomorrow night. This time the excuse is that it's my wife's Bday, and she really is not much of a gamer (I probably would be fine with a game night in my Bday).

So I'm hosting on Wednesday at 7pm. I go in to work on Thurs at 1pm, so I can sleep in that morning.

Oh, and last week we had Marty, Joseph and JD show up. We played non-Agricola games: Monastery, and then JD and I played Tannhauser, and San Juan.
-I still think San Juan has its charm, eventhough it's essentially Race for the Galaxy without the steroids. JD pummelled me: my Race for the Galaxy skilles proved futile for San Juan.
-Tannhauser reminded me of Doom (the other dark scifi shooter game), but it is lighter in rules, and quicker. The dark alternate WWII sci fi world theme works really well. I might get this in the future, or I might pick Doom up finally (which I enjoy a lot).

7 comments:

Andy said...

I am definitely a possible maybe.

Rob said...

I am cautiously optimistic

Andy said...

I can make it!

Marty said...

not me.

JosephC4 said...

Probably not me. It looks like I will be working late.

bentwookie said...

I will be there.

Tom H. said...

Wow, I really missed out this week. I didn't know about the League City meetup, and I figured y'all would be meeting on Thu. again.

Tannhauser

Ooh, I want to try this one. The theme looks cool to me.

Descent

I have this one by Fantasy Flight. I'm pretty sure it is similar to DOOM but with a fantasy theme.

I have a problem with Descent. For some reason I appreciate games that try to model reality in their mechanics to a degree. I like to know that the designers spent some time researching the mechanics instead of just making a game with fun dice rolls.

Descent fails me here in at least two ways and I suspect it was trying to shoehorn the Video game style of DOOM.

1) If you get killed in the dungeon you get teleported to town where you can buy more gear and then teleport back into the dungeon to the nearest glyph in the same time that it takes your buddy to move a few feet and swing his weapon.

2) You can jump over squares, but you can't jump over shallow water squares. I found a lame explanation of this on FFG site: "Everyone knows that water monsters lurk in these shallow squares and grab you with their tentacles."

Descent is kind of fun, but I don't want to have to totally suspend my disbelief.