Monday, August 11, 2008

Gaming tomorrow 7/12

Just a reminder that gaming tomorrow is at Cofffee culture with the League City meetup group. I can't make it though because my grandparents will be in town (and they want to see my place for the first time since I moved to LC).

I might host Thursday... let me know if you'd be interested.

BTW, just played two solo games of Agricola (I'm at home today ...sick... and there's nothing better to do when you are sick than play games that allow for solo gaming). I have to say, the solo game is pretty darn hard. I did better on my first than my second, but still didn't beat the 'expected score'. Can't wait to play this with more players, but yes, it's very satisfying even as a solo game.

This game oozes with theme, and cool mechanics (worker placement). You are basically competing with other players trying to build the best farm. And like any farm, you plow, sow and harvest, you breed sheep, cows, and pigs, you use these to feed your family, which can grow and give you more 'workers', etc etc. Plus it has almost limitless replayability given the number of 'special power' cards the game has. It may not be as clean/balanced as a luckless game of Puerto Rico or Caylus, but it surely does provide a good challenge in trying to optimize your special cards with the available actions every round.

11 comments:

Rob said...

BTW, the OCD gamer in me is having a hard time coping with the fact that there are no perfect sleeves for this game. The best are apparently sold in Korea, but I can't read the site, and they haven't replied to my email (written in english of course).

JosephC4 said...

Sweet. The game sounds cool.
It is climbing to knock Puerto Rico out of the number 1 spot on the Geek!
And there will be much rejoicing when that happens.

Marty said...

I definitely don't think it deserves the number 1 spot, but I can see why people like it. Glad that the printing being late didn't kill the game too.

As for the sleeves, I wouldn't think the cards get handled so much that you'd really need sleeves. It's not like a card game where you are constantly dealing out new cards and shuffling. Mostly you give out cards at the beginning of each game and that is it.

Rob said...

I hope it doesn't knock PR. :)

No. 2 is good enough.

But Marty... you are holding the same 14 cards for ~2hrs...

*gasp!*

all that grime buildup!

I think i'll probably go with Yu Gi Oh sleeves: Perfect width, slightly short for the card.

Andy said...

Are you going to laminate the animeeples as well?

Andy said...

FYI, I'm available Thurs.

Rob said...

Just played another game of Agricola with my wife. We played the Family Version, which basically removes about 40% of the complexity of the game. Still, it was interesting/challenging. It becomes more of a 'set collecting' game. The game REALLY shines though when you add the 'special power cards' (the occupations and minor improvements).

Nope Andy, I'm not going to laminate the animeeples. I can't feed them into the laminator. Instead, I will start a geeklist complaining about not being able to find good sleeves for Agricola. Go and give it a thumbs up too to make me feel better.

bentwookie said...

I will be there at coffee culture tonight with Jessica. Hope to see some of you there.

JosephC4 said...

Cool, JD.
I will be there too.

Ben said...

I need to schedule a "sick" day for board gaming...

Rob said...

Yeah, it works great for solitaire games.