Thursday, August 14, 2008

Meetup at Coffee Culture

It was another nice group meetup, IMHO at Coffee Culture. Several people were there that I had not met before, including a couple of NASA folks. One thing I like about this group is that folks are willing to play the same game multiple times in the same evening. So we opened with Qwirkle, which is quite a nice set/tile game while at the other table folks played Ingenious another set/tile game.

The only real problem with Qwirkle came up when one of the new guys had a little trouble because he could not tell the colors on the tiles apart and only color distinguishes them. I'm not sure how you get around that problem in Qwirkle since shapes are used for other purposes... Maybe you could put a white dot on each of the tiles of one of the colors that look the same. At least Ingenious does not have that problem, although for some reason they decided to use lots of star shapes instead of squares, etc. This can make it difficult to refer to the tiles by shapes.

We mixed up the groups after these games with both tables ending up playing Zirkus Flohcati, twice. Then my table played High Society twice while the other group played Ticket To Ride (our two games took longer than their TTR game, though). High Society is definitely a game that improves and deepens with replays.

3 comments:

Tom H. said...

I've heard that complaint before about the shapes used for Ingenious tiles. After many sleepless nights ;) I have determined that there are no squares or triangles because they wanted shapes to be perfectly symmetrical with respect to a hexagon.

I also wonder if any of those shapes are the typical ones used to test a person's psychic abilities. Even though I frequently use my powers to chose a good flea circus card, I have not taken these tests. :)

Rob said...

Sounds like you all had a good time. Great games too. I haven't played High Society in a loooong time.

JosephC4 said...

Maybe we will eventually get the members of the group, who are on Meetup.com, to regularly RSVP when they can come. Postive RSVP's are very encouraging to Denise and myself for planning.

We had nine people....I did not get in any heavier games...but then the only heavier game that I really like is Power Grid...I wanted to make sure a certain first timer at least played one thing she liked, so I started with Qwirkle, then Marty proposed Circus Flohcati, then there was only time for Ticket to Ride.

I found out that JD has the heavier TtR's so maybe he will bring those out next time.