Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Gaming last night... Now Agricola-FREE!

Last night was your regularly scheduled League City gamers meetup. The crowd was small and cozy....about 7 total?

I played a few fluffies like Circus Flohcati x2, and Fluxx (urgh!). Of the lighter stuff, Hey That's my fish was the best. It's a great quick 15 min brain-teaser, where you are moving penguins around ice flows trying to catch the most fish. Denise, a guy whose name escapes me, and I played this. My penguin got locked out on the third to last round, isolated on ice flows that weren't connected to the others....so I ended up in 3rd place.

The Heavy of the night for me was Caylus Magna Carta...also played with Denise, and 'the other guy'. Excellent, excellent game. It's the 'essence' of Caylus in a quick 45-60min deep card game. I won, but only because I was the only one who had played before (read, the only one who built a Prestige building...the ones that give you bucketfuls of VP's). I'm sure next time it'll be different.

It was an Agricola-free night. Yes, fun can be had without Agricola.

7 comments:

Gaming Diva said...

I always enjoy the group at Coffee Culture. I agree that Caylus Magna Carta is an excellent game. I am not a fan of Fluxx but it seems to be Adam's go to quick game. Hey, That's my Fish was fun. I played Blokkus which I usually enjoy in 3 or 4 or solo on the computer but discovered I don't like it with 2. I don't like playing 2 sides at once.

I finally received my games! Yeah! I found them on my doorstop when I got home last night. Unfortunately it was too late to open the games but I decided to install Puerto Rico on the computer. Boy was I disappointed when it did not come with the patch and I haven't gotten any one from the company to respond to my emails.
If any one is good at teaching games and would be interested in a game of Agricola or Merchants of Amsterdam, I am interested. The other games I have either played or can be played with 2 and Mike and I will have fun learning.

JosephC4 said...

Denise,
Merchants of Amsterdam? Thats awesome. I only played it once, but I might like it a lot.

I believe Lewis has it too.

Adam is the purveyor of Fluxx...well maybe its not that bad...but its not good. lol

Marty said...

I have Merchants of Amsterdam and like it enough that I bought a 2nd one when the auction timer broke on me from the first one.

Andy said...

I got Merchants a couple months ago. I pimped up the cardboard pieces with little houses, a la Power Grid. I've only managed to get it to the table once and warned everyone about the timer beforehand. How many games did you play before the timer broke, Marty? Maybe you had a violent player? Or is it too painful to remember?

Rob said...

I played once, but it was a strange game. Everyone was pretty much overbidding for stuff. So the game broke down to a race to hit the timer as soon as it was started.

I'd be more than willing to try again it with a different crowd.

Jeff said...

I remember that game of Merchants! It was so weird, I don't think I'll be able to get it to the table again. I'm not sure I want to. :(

For the Fluxx experience without the occasional overly long game, try We Didn't Playtest This At All from Asmadi games.

Marty said...

I think I probably had 30 or so games played before it broke. You can still play the game without it with a couple of changes. There were a few overagressive people playing with my set a few times.