Thursday, September 25, 2008

A night of CLOSE scores


Last night we had a decent crowd: JD, Lewis, Joseph, Tom, and Andy. We split up into two groups.

Lewis, Joseph, and I played Agricola. It was a terrible game for me simply because I was working hard for this end-game scoring card thinking it was going to give me VP's for fields, when in fact it was for pastures. I realized this about 3 rounds from the endgame....needless to say, at little too late. Still, scores where somewhat close. I had 26 (urgh), And Lewis and Joseph were in the low 30's, with Lewis winning by a point.

Andy, Tom, and JD played Nefertiti, which I want to try someday, and Pirate's Cove, which I don't need to try. Hopefully someone will fill you in on these games.

L,J, and I then played 3 games of No Thanks, a great card filler.... probably my lightest filler. Not my fav though, but it's good. For that kind of 'filling', I prefer Fairy Tale, but only is everyone knows the game (so it can go fast). It looks like it's getting reprinted for the 3rd...4th time?

Some people had to leave, so then Lewis, JD, Andy, and I played Space Dealer. I like this game a lot because it reminds me of Real-time Strategy computer games like Command and Conquer, Warcraft, etc. After Lewis gave me much grief over the rules review, we fought out way trying to deliver goods accross the cosmos. As always, it was a blast. I'd like to try it again with some of the expansion/variant cards (and probably without Lewis... because he doesn't like luck in games, and he doesn't like to keep track of the score during the game, when it is supposed to be done like that.... I wouldn't have made deliveries to his planet if I could see that he was winning....)

Then more people left, so JD, Lewis and I decided to play something lite like Liar's Dice. So we played Phoenicia (which for those that don't know, is anything but lite). Again, it was an extremely close match with me and Lewis fighting until the very end for the win. He beat me by just 1 point. Oh the agony. This is probably one of my all time fav games (definitively in my personal Top 5). It's a heavy game that plays in 1 hr, which to me is just icing on the cake.

1 comment:

Rob said...

My comments as always, tongue-in-cheek.

BTW, go out and vote. It's your right (and duty).