Sunday, July 27, 2008

Gaming Princesses Acquire Florence

//I have been working on this write-up for a while now, but since the last sentence was predictive I had to work it into a form to post here, the original is on MySpace/

So Tuesday night(a couple of weeks ago), at my League of Extraordinary Gamers boardgaming meetup, (http://boardgames.meetup.com/564/ join us if you haven't) , I got there at seven o clock, and began to teach a really light game to five people when Tammy and Adam showed up.

So I had to figure out how to break up the group. Mike showed up with Acquire which I have been wanting to learn, since it is the 54th highest ranked game on BoardGameGeek.com, and Tom wanted to play it so we moved to our own table...and a few minutes into the rules Dana showed up, but the other table had 5 people already so she joined us in learning Acquire.

Acquire went really well...money kept flying my way even though I did not seem to be doing too much to earn it. I finished in a strong second place. I am not sure if it is a good thing that I can do well in such a money management game relying on my intuition, hehe...its probably not, but its fun anyway to put my Accounting intuition to work anyway.

Meanwhile, I told the other group to play something they could teach...I was basically talking to Tammy and Adam, they brought a version of Settlers of Cataan that I have not played (Starship, probably) some light games, and Princes of Florence. And you serious gamers will be happy to know that they played ...Princes of Florence (Denise and Tommie enjoyed it enough to ask for a rematch).

So it turns out that my group of gaming princesses will play and like heavier games. Two of them really like Puerto Rico, and another confessed that for a while she was hiding her inner gamer...another regularly beats her husband at medium weight games.

But we finished Acquire 30 minutes till 10:00, which is when Mark closes up shop, so I got to play my fluffy game after all, Zirkus Flohcati.

So all of you serious gamers should not come out to my events, if you are afraid of being beaten by a girl.

No comments: