Saturday, June 21, 2008

Gaming with your spouse...

It has been a long road, but I am proud to admit that I was able to turn my wife from a game-disliking (hating is such a strong word) person to a true gamer... although not as obsessive, compulsive, competitive, as me. Still, she is a gamer, and I love her even more for that. It took me about 3 yrs to get here, but the nay-sayers out there, it can be done. Today we played a game of Caylus Magna Carta (EXCELLENT as a 2 player game btw). She won... I admit I am not the best gamer in town, but I do admit to having been lax in my strategy while playing with her today. Every now and then she needs a victory to stay motivated and just plain interested in gaming.

In other gaming news, we are going to Fuddruckers tomorrow to game with the meetup group. See you there.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Any other games that you find work well with the wife? I would say my wife's top ten games would be:

Alhambra
Any crayon rails game
Memoir 44
Perudo
San Juan
Lord of the Rings
Saint Petersburg
Lost Cities
Ticket to Ride
Multi player Solitaire

Most of those are pretty common wife games with a couple of exceptions. My wife likes battles so that explains Memoir 44, and she is a big Lord of the Rings fan which explains that. Multi player solitaire was actually a family game growing up and she learned it and really enjoys playing. I am burned out on it though.

Rob said...

BTW, thebrainy is Lance.

My wife's?

In no particular order:

Alhambra
Lost Cities
1960 the making of the president
Caylus Magna Carta
Puerto Rico
Pandemic
Acquire
and recently enjoyed CanalMania
I'm impressed with your wife enjoying Memoir 44. My wife doesn't like any battle games at all.

JosephC4 said...

A lady gamer friend of mine was remarking on how lowly crayon rails games were ranked on BGG.com...here is her comment on how she was converted.

"That really sucks that they are ranked that low! We love those games!
Eurorails and Iron Dragon are the games that got me into more than just Dominos, cards, and Monopoly! Of course the big selling point that [he]
made when trying to get me to try them for the first time was the fact that I got to use crayons! LOL So glad I am a real gamer now! LOL :-P"

But then she has worked in accounting so she has embraced her inner geek.

Unknown said...

One other game I forgot to mention was Scotland Yard. We just got that recently and my wife really likes it. I am hoping that means I can try out Fury of Dracula on my wife but I am worried that the rules will scare her off.

Rob said...

I've played both once. Scotland Yard is nice because it's straightforward...it's simple.

Fury of Dracula has an awesome theme, but that one time I played, the chasing around and dealing with Dracula's "speed bumps" (creatures, etc), became kind of tiring after a while, and in the end we never found him. I'd love to try it again though, because I WANT to like it. Oh, and based on that 1 game, I think the more players the merrier.