Sunday, April 12, 2009

Gaming at San Jac....

Man, I wish they hosted gaming at noon every Saturday. I got there yesterday at 1230, and a few games were being played. I avoided a game of Power Grid to play something lighter. So I pulled out... drumroll... Fairy Tale! Yes the box is pink. Yes, it may not look very manly, but it is such a good filler. We played 2 games back to back.

Then I played San Juan and Roll through the Ages with Denise. I beat her by 1 pt in RTtA, but only because she didn't finish a 2 point monument before I ended the game.... so yeah, it doesn't feel much like a victory, but I'll take it (because winning so rare!). In San Juan, she beat me soundly (by 3 points?). It's makes for an excellent 2 player game.

Then I played 2 games of Pandemic. The game is a bit too easy on "Normal difficulty". Then we played "intermediate", and we did just as well. I think I'm ready to tackle the "Hardest" setting.

I ended the afternoon with a game of In the Year of the Dragon. I'm definitively a fan of the whole "damage control" mechanic.... the "cut your loses" mechanic while trying to expand, and score VP's.... I feel like I'm drowning the whole game. At no point do I feel overly powerful. That challenge is what brings me back to the game. Cool stuff.

3 comments:

Mike Kent said...

I am glad you made it out. Thanks for teaching us Pandemic

Rob said...

Pandemic? Anytime. You know? I stuck to games I know yesterday... It's nice when you don't have to learn a bunch of new games.

Gaming Diva said...

I had a great time also! I really like the earlier start time on Sat. I learned a lot of new games....Fairy Tale, San Juan, Nefertiti, and Lost Cities Board Game.

I would like to learn Pandemic. You guys sounded like you were having a lot of fun.