Saturday, November 15, 2008

Pitch Car, Sprain Muscle...

As seen at my place last Thursday...

We (JD, Lewis, Mike, Joseph) started the night with Pillars of the Earth with the nifty 5-6 player expansion. Wow, this new expansion really adds a lot without bogging the game down too much. Firstly, it make the game more replayable by adding more cards to the mix. In the original game, some types of the cards where present in EVERY single game making things easy to predict to some extent. Now, that's not the case. The expansion also adds additional action slots to use your master builder on, making your decision on where to place them twice as hard. And now that I've read the book since the last time I had played the regular game, it was even more enjoyable. Thumbs up from me.

With Lance joining the bunch, we all played Pitch Car on the living room floor. Nope, my table is not big enough when you add all the expansions. Someone sent me an email saying that their legs hurt the next morning from all the squatting to pitch their car... hehehe. It was pretty darn fun. Mindless dexterity games are a blast. I think you do get more precision when you are more comfortable playing the game on an actual table, but it was darn fun.

Last but not least, Lance, JD, Lewis and I played 2 games of the highly acclaimed Dominion. Not complex at all, easy to explain, quick, and addictive....what's wrong with that? Nothing IMO. Could play this 10 times in a row...


TODAY....I just finished my first game of solitaire Race for the Galaxy against the robot AND lost on the tire breaker!!! It was really my fault; I decided to change strategy midway, making me lose some steam along the way. In the category of solitaire games, I think this is better than solo-Agricola because your fake opponent accumulates cards AND scores LIVE. There's no preset score to beat. You have to actually beat a "preprogrammed robot" that plays its own actions, but also responds to what you do. Pretty darn nifty. It must have been a nightmare playtesting this sucker (the rules are pretty intricate, but become second-nature after 1 game). Looking forward to trying out some of the other expansion stuff.

All in all, a very satisfying week, specially when you play 4 out of (undisclosed number) of games and expansions previously purchased that I still hadn't tried.

Next week some of us are going to BGG con!!! YEAH! I'll try to post some stuff here.

4 comments:

Rob said...

Just played a game of Dominion with the wife, and she liked it!! success!

It ended in a tie...and tiebreaker goes to whoever had the least number of turns. We both completed the same number of turns. In that case both players share the win. Couldn't have ended the game any better (or should I say, lamer?).

Mike Kent said...

I picked up a copy of Dominion last week. We played three games of it at Lewis' Friday game session. I really like it!

-Mike

Rob said...

1. I'm not a huge proponent of online boardgaming
2. Brettspielwelt is the most user unfriendly online boardgaming medium


Now, having said that, I have to highly recommend Dominion on Brettspielwelt. It works great, and it is fast. Plus no shuffling! Just click on the "Dominion Play Now" button. Give the computer some time to load the java code.

Mike Kent said...

Thanks, I'll try it on BSW.