Sunday, July 13, 2008

Saturday of WWII and beyond...

Lance came by, which means that Starcraft never happened. That's fine because we still got to do LOTS between 9am and 5pm.

We started with Combat Commander: Mediterranean. As I've said before, if you are a fan of Memoir 44, but want more depth (but not at the hardcore level of wargames like ASL), you should definitively try this out. My Russian soldiers fought desperately, protecting a village from a massive Romanian army (Lance). The enemy had slightly weaker soldiers, but man they made up for it in numbers. He was getting VERY close to capturing key objectives in the center of the village before the scenario ended. Long live the reds.

Then we recreated the events that happened AFTER WWII in Twilight Struggle. It's essentially an area control game where you play cards to trigger historical events, or spread your influence. I played the Russians AGAIN, and Lance the US. Our first game was VERY quick. I won in 3 out of 10 rounds, but in all fairness, that is what is expected from the Russians if the US doesn't play well early on. The US needs to survive the first tough years of the Cold war, and make it to the "Late War" where things start to get tough for the reds. And this he did on our SECOND game of TS. He learned well from that first game. He ended the game with a US victory on rd 9 of 10. Great stuff. I've played this about 6 times, and it just keeps getting better.

Lance, thanks for the all-day brain massage.

THis next week, as usual I'll host on Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll confirm tomorrow.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I really liked Twilight Struggle, great theme. It is daunting playing that first game though.

And you forgot to mention my triumph on the moon! While you were trying to figure out how to shoot off bottle rockets, I was playing baseball on the moon. USA! USA! USA!

Rob said...

Yes yes.... I don't want to remember Russia's embarassing and odds-defying failures when rolling to advance on the Space Race.