Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Welcome....and a gaming report


Welcome! This is my blog... this is your blog. The focus? Anything gaming, but mainly boardgames. And to start things off, here's what happened yesterday:

Who came? Lewis and JD.

What was played? We started things off with a game of Last Night on Earth (JD's). It's basically a zombies vs human characters in a race to achieve certain goals by the end of a set number of rounds. The undead forces (Lewis and me) will rule the world if last night was any indication of what a zombie attack may end up looking like. To be fair, JD and his 4 human characters were painfully close to saving the 4 townsfolk they had to find and save (he had 3) before the zombies killed 2 of them or time ran out. For the Horde (any World of Warcraft players out there?)!!!

Then we played one of my fav games: In the Year of the Dragon. I've played now with 3,4,and 5 players and it works just as well with any combination. I have yet to try it with 2, although I think I'll end up preferring more players. Even with this being my 5th (?) game under my belt, I still saw an interesting strategy from Lewis that gave him the victory over me by 3 points: he basically ended up using 3 cards to hire 3 monks total (so the Monk card, and the 2 wild cards for those that have played), and managed to stick them all in one 3 level palace. Kaboom! Lots of end game points.

Then we moved on the dicey games starting with Airships....were players are racing to build zepellins....yeah! great theme! I tried this game last year at BGG con, and being a huge fan of dice/action activating games, I just had to get it. It joins other great dice games like To Court the King, and Kingsburg. JD and Lewis seemed to enjoy it. I like it a lot, but still prefer To Court the King a bit more because I thoroughly enjoy the more sophisticated 'dice manipulating' powers of To Court the King. Still, it is indeed a very enjoyable game. We even finished the Hindenburg (which from what I read only happens about 25% of the time).

Last but not least, we played 2 games of Perudo/bluff/Liar's Dice. A few words of advice: don't trust Lewis. When you think he's lying, he's not. When you think he's telling the truth, he's not. I may have to apply some reverse psychology next time (or 2 reverse, or triple reverse psychology...or something).

All in all, a great gaming night.

'til next time.

4 comments:

Ben said...

Nice blog! I just picked up the LNOE expansion, but I haven't played it yet. I think the base game is the best zombie-themed board game out there.

Rob said...

Hehehe.... it looks like another texan blog I know.

Jeff said...

Awesome Rob! Nice start!

I like your right column with the latest post on the linked blogs.

I think the SABG might need to steal a bit of your tech.

Ted said...

Nice blog.